Join us and the Community Foundation of Lorain County for this training on Community Network Building just for people living in the city of Elyria.
The Neighbor Up Network has about 3,000 members, mainly residents of Cleveland, who have years of experience bringing people together to create a more just, equitable and inclusive community. With support from the Community Foundation of Lorain County, we invite you to help build a similar network in Lorain county. We believe that the most desirable community change is fueled by the interests, energies, and commitment of the broadest array of community members. To create welcoming, inclusive neighborhoods where everyone can thrive, we must engage each other and our neighbors in meaningful ways and work together to build the community we want.
We are looking for 18-20 people who live or work in the city of Elyria, care about this community, and are able to commit to the four-month training.
As a member of the team, you will:
● Learn more about yourself and the gifts you bring to this work;
● Build relationships within your neighborhood, across the city of Elyria, and with other community-builders in Lorain County.
● Learn about and practice various approaches to building community, including Asset Based Community Development and Community Network Building
● Work with a team of committed community members to overcome challenges and create a community where everyone can thrive.
● Receive a $200 Visa Gift Card
Who Is Invited to Apply
City of Elyria residents, merchants, employees at institutions who:
● believe that all members of our community have gifts, knowledge, and wisdom to offer;
● are interested in building and bridging relationships to create a strong, interconnected network in Elyria;
● are comfortable sharing power and working as a team;
● are willing and excited to work in multicultural and diverse spaces with people from all over Elyria;
● are willing to learn and raise consciousness about structural inequality;
● are open to learning and experimenting with new forms of community building; and
● are willing and able to do some of this work virtually using new technologies.
To ensure the health and safety of everyone, we are asking that all participants be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Commitment of Team Members
Some components may be changed to phone calls and virtual engagement as necessary due to public health needs.
● Fully participate in all sessions. This includes one Friday evening kick-off event, six Saturday sessions, and two Wednesday evening sessions via zoom (See dates and times below).
● Share your experience and knowledge with peers.
● Complete 10 one-on-one conversations with neighborhood stakeholders.
● Work with an existing team of community builders to implement and grow Neighbor Night, a city-wide gathering that was launched in 2021 by the Neighbor Up Lorain 2020 cohort.
● Develop action plans and prototype smaller-scale efforts to address an issue that you care about with others on the team.
Based on the above components, we expect participants will dedicate 15 to 20 hours each month between September and December 2021; and then 10 to 12 hours each month through August of 2022. This includes scheduled sessions, additional time between sessions, time on community projects, and supporting Neighbor Night.
Application and Selection Process
● Applications Due by Monday, August 9th at 9 a.m.
● Applicant Interviews August 16th through August 25th
● You will hear back from us by Monday, August 30th
● Sign the Participation Agreement and join the team. The Kick-off event is on Friday, September 24th at 5:30 pm.
Required Session Dates
All sessions are in-person, except where indicated. Some components may be changed to online Zoom sessions as necessary due to public health needs.
- Friday, September 24th 5:30 to 7:30 pm
- Saturday, September 25th from 10 am to 4 pm
- Saturday, October 9th from 10 am to 4 pm
- Zoom session — Wednesday, October 13th from 6 to 9 pm
- Zoom session — Wednesday, October 20th from 6 to 9 pm
- Saturday, November 6th from 10 am to 4 pm
- Saturday, November 20th from 10 am to 4 pm
- Saturday, December 4th from 10 am to 4 pm
For more information or to ask questions, contact Miyah at the Community Foundation of Lorain
- Miyah Byers: (440) 370-9514), firstname.lastname@example.org
Neighbor Up members Jerry or Lisa-Jean: