The Neighbor Up Network and the Community Foundation of Lorain County are offering this training on Community Network Building to those who live in the city of Lorain.
The Neighbor Up Network, located in Cleveland, is a community of about 3,000 members, mainly residents of Cleveland, who have years of experience bringing community members together to create a more just, equitable and inclusive community. With support from the Community Foundation of Lorain County, we invite you to help build a similar network in Lorain. In Neighbor Up, we believe that the most desirable community change is fueled by the interests, energies, and commitment of the broadest array of community members. To create welcoming, inclusive neighborhoods where everyone can thrive, we must engage neighbors in meaningful ways and work together to create the community we want.
We are looking for 18-20 people who live or work in the city of Lorain, care about this community, and
are able to commit to the six-month training.
As a member of the team, you will:
● Learn more about yourself and the gifts you bring to this work;
● Build relationships within your neighborhood and across the city of Lorain.
● Learn about and practice various approaches to building community, including Asset Based
Community Development and Community Network Building
● Deepen your knowledge about racial equity, the history of Lorain, and the opportunities and
structural challenges to overcome;
● Work with a team of committed community members to overcome challenges and create a
community where everyone can thrive.
● Receive a $200 Visa Gift Card
Who Is Invited to Apply
City of Lorain residents, merchants, employees at institutions who:
● believe that all members of our community have gifts, knowledge, and wisdom to offer;
● are interested in building and bridging relationships to create a strong, interconnected network
● are comfortable sharing power and working as a team;
● are willing and excited to work in multicultural and diverse spaces with people from all over
● are willing to learn and raise consciousness about structural inequality;
● are open to learning and experimenting with new forms of community building; and
● are willing and able to do some of this work virtually using new technologies.
Commitment of Team Members
● Fully participate in 9 half-day sessions (See dates below);
● Dedicate 8 to 12 hours each month between August and February 2021. This includes scheduled
sessions and some additional time each month;
● Share your experience and knowledge with peers;
● Complete 20 one-on-one conversations with neighborhood stakeholders;
● Develop action plans and prototype small efforts to address an issue that you care about with
others on the team; and
● Assist with planning and outreach for neighborhood and city-wide gatherings in early 2021
Some components may be changed to phone calls and virtual engagement as necessary due
to public health needs.
● Team Building
● Asset Based Community Development and Community Network Building
● The History of Lorain
● Understanding Personal and Community Trauma
● Understanding Race, Equity and Inclusion
● Tactics to Build a Strong Community Network
Application and Selection Process
● Applications Due by Monday, August 10th at 5 p.m.
● Applicant Interviews August 17th through August 20th
● You will hear back from us by Friday, August 21st
● Sign Participation Agreement and join the team!
● The first session is Saturday, August 29th at 10 a.m.
Required Session Dates
All sessions are on Saturdays from 10 am to 2:30 pm with a half-hour for lunch.
● August 29th, 2020
● September 12th, 2020
● September 26th, 2020
● October 3rd, 2020
● October 24th, 2020
● November 7th, 2020
● November 21st, 2020
● December 5th, 2020
● December 12th, 2020
Network Night Pilot:
● Pilot Network Night — January 2021 (to be determined)
● Pilot Network Night — February 2021 (to be determined)
For more information or to ask questions, contact Neighbor Up members Jerry or Lisa-Jean:
- Jerry Elias Peña or (216) 376-7147
- Lisa-Jean Sylvia or (216) 264-9858
The primary contact at the Community Foundation of Lorain County is Assata Cheers.